OK, before I even ask the question--- I am already aware that the right way to do this is to run netplwiz or control userpasswords2. I tried both-- when I run these commands, I get the "user accounts" popup window. There is no checkbox, however, for "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
Here are the details of my setup:
1) it's running vista ultimate 32
2) it's a brand new install
3) if it matters, I'm using it as a media pc-- it's running a pentium M (very cool chip), w/ 3 gigs ram
4) The machine logs into a local domain.
5) There are only two user accounts on the machine-- one is local, one is from the domain controller. When I run Netplwiz, BOTH are listed as administrators. I've tried logging in locally using the local account , and by using the domain account.
6) I have user acces control turned off .
Other than that, I can't think of any additional info... I have a suspicion that I don't have admin righst somehow (even though user controll tells me I do) ... I may try and again and explicitly run this elevated...
To get points, please don't tell me to run netplwiz ...