What is Host String? Why Username is Set to Scott? SQL Plus - Oracle Enterprise Edition
Posted on 2009-05-19
I have just installed Oracle Enterprise Edition, i tried to run SQL Plus. I requested username and password. I googled and by chance i found username should be scott and password is tiger which did not make sense to me. In the other hand, our instructor's gave us a username, password and host string to logon SQL*Plus in the institution lab as the following:
SQL> conn username/pass@hoststring;
I do not even think we had to insert username and password to use SQL*Plus
When i installed Enterprise Edition 11g to my pc, i thought the username, passowrd, and host string that i got my instructor's would work in my PC! It didn't so i had to go and search for a solution and i found that the username should scott and password is tiger! How an earth i would have known that? I'm not given this information after installation. Who is scott? Who is tiger? Why scott and tiger! Anyway, i inserted it and i have been requested to re-new the password and then i logged in. It did not ask me for a host string at all. Thus, here are my questions:
1. Why i could not logon SQL*Plus in my PC by using the instructor's username and password?
2. Doesn't SQL*Plus connects remotely to a server?
3. Why am i asked to insert username and password before using SQL*Plus! Because SQL> is useless accept i try to connect remotely as following conn username/pass@hostring;
4. Just curious to know! Is SQL*Plus allows you to insert a remote username and password, instead of my local "scott" username and password?
5. "Host string is your System Identifier (SID), which you would have specified while installation. Host string is an alias to the server/database. If you are running Developer on the same machine as the database server, leave host string empty." Is this true definition of Host String? If not, what is it? Please explain in a simple way.
6. Based on the quote above: " Host string is an alias to the server/database." what does this mean? Is it like a hint word?
7. Why SQL*Plus in Lab asks me to insert host string, while my SQL*Plus in my PC does not? Note: i know my SID, i set it when i first installed the application.
I'm new to all these database thing, so bear with me. Expect many questions on the way!