I develope a ASP.NET application. This application generates hash codes witch I need user to sign with his private key from X509 certificate stored on SmartCart or USB token.
I have seen sites on the net and have read articles about authentication with client certificate. My situation is a bit different. Basicaly the workflow would be like this:
1. User comes to a page, fills in some fields and presses "next"
2. Server (ASP.NET application) makes some calculations and shows user the resulting hash on a next page
3. When user presses "sign" button near the hash code browser pops out a window for selecting a certificate, asks for password to access certificate's private data (for signing), signs the hash and sends a signed hash back to server
In particular everything past user pressing "sing" button I have no idea how to achieve the result. So the questions are:
1. Is it possible to do this at all?
2. Is it possible to do this without any browser addons/plugins/activex?
3. Any thoughts, links, articles, technology names?