I am trying to test if Windows Vista can be used for our current software at work as there is very little choice when purchasing new PC's and laptops these days. I have already failed the first test!
When I try to join our company Windows NT domain I get the error:
"The following error occured attempting to join the domain 'domainname'.
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password"
I have done the following based on searches:
1. Added computer name to NT domain via NT Server Manager
2. Made the following changes to the Vista PC's Local Security Policy:
Local Security Policy (start | secpol.msc) | Local Policies | Security Options
Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always) - Disabled
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level - Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
3. Disabled Windows Firewall
4. Checked that the PC has a WINS server address and it is correct
5. Some have mentioned a blank MAC address but MAC address looks ok.
I have run out of ideas.
And no, I cannot upgrade the domain controllers to Windows 2000/2003 or anything else.
Please help. Others seem to have worked this one out and I feel a bit sheepish!