Return Key Hotkey

Well, long story short my enter key is busted and unusable.  So I'm plugging in a usb keyboard to my laptop to work in the shell.  However, this is incredibly annoying and doesn't make my laptop exactly portable.  I'm looking for a way to create a key combination for the enter key, something like ctrl+shift.  I'm also wondering if this will work when I'm doing work in my bash shell.

I am currently using Debian Lenny.

Thanks in advance.
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Maciej SsysadminCommented:

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial

Here is some info on keymapping in linux (if you really want to get down to it):

Otherwise, here is a quick way to create a new hotkey combo;

Good luck!
TurboBorlandAuthor Commented:
Thanks to oklit for helping me quickly with my bash problems and thanks to random_ru for providing those excellent documents.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.