I have SSL enabled for OWA and not OMA. I am able to access my inbox via http://IPAddress/OMa
on my desktop. It asks for the username and password, and everything is visible. I was messing around with IIS this morning trying to get SSL working on OMA, and everything went south. I did not backup IIS, and I made changes to Exchange-oma, ExchWeb, Microsoft_Server_ActiveSyn
c, and OMA. I enabled SSL, 128-Bit. I also made changes as far as Eanble Anonymous access and Integrated Windows Authentication. I could not get SSL to work for OMA, so I decided to reboot. The server would hang Applying Personal Settings. I finally got past this problem by editing the domain controller security policy\local policy\user rights assignments\Manage auditing and secuirty log. I added Exchange Domain Servers and rebooted the exchange server and mail is working again. However, I cannot get any existing or new phones to sync with exchange. I receive Support Code: 0x85010001. It appeared to sync once on a new phone, but then this error message will not go away.
So I have SSL working on OWA and its working fine. I want to get SSL working for OMA, but it failed, so now I am just trying to get OMA working without SSL for now. I am trying to figure the proper Authentication Methods settings (enable anonymouse access, integrated windows authentication for Exchange, Exchange-oma, Microsoft-Server-ActiveSyn
c, MobileAdmin, and OMA.