Impending RAID Controller Failure

Just have a question: I have a RAID controller (LSI SAS 8740ELP) in a third party built server, and the controller has been giving indications of an impending failure. The question I have is: If I can obtain an identical, or similar replacement controller, will I have to rebuild my arrays, and perform a restore, or is the array data going to mesh nicely with the replacement?
KenScheidtAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

simsjrgCommented:
Technically if you replace it with the same make/model controller you can rebuild the existing config from the drives. I would still have a current backup before I did the swap though...
0
KenScheidtAuthor Commented:
Thanks, that was kind of my plan...I'm trying to get my client to purchase Acronis True Image Echo server to get a bulletproof backup (they are using NT backup now) and get a hold of an identical replacement controller. I just could not find any documentation from LSI on whether the controller data resides on the disk array itself or controller. I am hoping it is the former...

Does anyone else know for a fact that a an identical controller replacement will be that seamless? (or am I just doing some wishful thinking?)
0
simsjrgCommented:
>> Does anyone else know for a fact that a an identical controller replacement will be that seamless? (or am I just doing some wishful thinking?)

Nothing in this field is 100%. I have had it work I would say 90% of the time (done it over a dozen times I would say). On the ones it didn't I rebuilt the container accordingly and restored from an Acronis backup.

For your piece of mind you can use the 21 days full Acronis trial. That way you know you have a backup plan.
0
Big Business Goals? Which KPIs Will Help You

The most successful MSPs rely on metrics – known as key performance indicators (KPIs) – for making informed decisions that help their businesses thrive, rather than just survive. This eBook provides an overview of the most important KPIs used by top MSPs.

KenScheidtAuthor Commented:
True, nothing is 100%. I have been telling my client that there is about 80% chance that this will go seamlessly, using that 20% as leverage to get them to buy the Acronis product. My experience has always been with big name equipment (IBM, HP, Dell) where their products are designed for high availability. Have not had the opportunity to replace an LSI controller before, so I thought I would hedge my bets.

Thanks for your input.
0
simsjrgCommented:
HP and DELL are all re-branded anyway. Mostly Adaptec and LSI cards...
0
simsjrgCommented:
Well I shouldn't say ALL... Someone will make me put my foot in my mouth... :-)
0
andyalderSaggar maker's bottom knockerCommented:
HP Smart Array controllers are *not* rebranded Adaptec or LSI cards, they do have an Adaptec or LSI SCSI or SAS interface chip but they also have a seperate processor running HP's own code. Having an Adaptec or LSI chip on them don't make them Adaptec pr LSI cards any more than having an intel CPU on the system board makes it a rebranded Intel motherboard.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
KenScheidtAuthor Commented:
Thanks for replying to my question. I know there are no absolutes, but it never hurts to bounce the question off my peers.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Components

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.