Ok so heres my setup, i have a small network of aound 70 pcs and 6 servers, some network printers and a sonicwall firewall that acts as my gateway for internet access and site to site vpn's for users.
Now i have a dept that i would like to segregate from the lan. I still want this segment to access my servers and use the sonicwall for internet and vpn traffic.
I have thought of using a vlan to do this so im my simple view all i need to do is
1) create a vlan on my cisco switch
2) assign all the devices i want t segregate to ports in that vlan
3) buy a cisco router and configure inter vlan routing so the vlan can talk to my own lan
Now this is were i have the problem:
1) obviously my two networks are now on different subnets how does the new vlan access the internet
2) how will the vlan subnet get access to vpn tunnels like they do now on the main LAN
3) how will the new vlan get ip address from my windows DHCP server as they do currently under single LAN
4) i have everything on a gig network if i add a 100MB connection router into the mix for van routing will the slow the network communication down any