I am planning an upgrade of our current VI3 architecture. We are currently running version 3.0.1 build 42829. Virtual center is currently at 2.0.1
We are going to be upgrading to version 3.5 update 4, and VC 2.5
Our current environment consists of two ESX hosts in one cluster. We have DRS, Vmotion, HA, and approximately 40 VM's.
ESX hosts boot from local drives (mirror SAS). VM's are residing on four SAN datastores.
I have been going over the steps I believe need to be done, but just wanted to see if anyone sees any errors or perhaps ran into some gotchas that I may be overlooking.
Here is my attack plan:
1. Backup all VM's with Vranger and complete a file level backup with Backup exec
2. Backup the VC database
3. Upgrade SQL from version 2000 to 2008. I have already run the SQL upgrade advisor
4. Turn off all VM's (everyone will be out of the office and prod will be down)
5. Patch both ESX hosts as per KB http://kb.vmware.com/kb/7557441
6. Upgrade Virtual center to version 2.5
7. Install new VI client on admin stations
8. Upgrade any outdated firmware on ESX hosts (IBM x3650's)
9. Upgrade ESX hosts to version 3.5
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.