SSRS 2008 Subreport changes parent report

I am running into a strange problem in SSRS 2008. I have a report that is in the form of two page summaries: Lots of manual field layout, two pages of information per row in the initial dataset, a list of projects.

I created two other reports to use as sub reports which both take a single parameter from the "parent": the first is simply a chart. This works fine.

The second is a list of key tasks for the project. When I add this subreport to my report, some of the data fields on the parent disappear. Not all fields: maybe half. Static text fields continue to show fine. The fields that disappear are consistant, but I can't figure out what they have in common.

If I then remove the sub report, the data fields show up fine. The subreport causing the problems shows up fine, and is not in the same rectangle, but these are all in a row in a Tablix.

I tried changing the names of most of the elements of the sub report, thinking there might be a name conflict of some sort.

No error messages. This happens both with in Visual Studio, and running from the report server.

Where can I look to identify the problem? or what can I change to get both the sub report and the data to display?

I have a suspicion that my next step should be SQL Profiler, but I'd love any advice or pointers...


Thanks....
James Fraser
LVL 13
jbfraserAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Auric1983Commented:
Sorry for the slight offtopic..I saw your name and almost fell off my chair, My brothers name is James A Fraser...

What happens if you include the subreport "somewhere else" in the report?  

0
jbfraserAuthor Commented:
Yeah, a lot of us james fraser's around. I'm a James B Fraser. (Just after your brother?)

I've moved the sub report to other spots within the tablix, tried top and bottom of the cell that I'm using. No change. I've also deleted and recreated (several times) the sub report element in the parent report.


James Fraser
0
jbfraserAuthor Commented:
And I just tested creating a sub report outside of the tablix of the parent. The data fields all show correctly then, but my subreport isn't helpful, since it's only included once, not once per dataset element.


jf
0
Python 3 Fundamentals

This course will teach participants about installing and configuring Python, syntax, importing, statements, types, strings, booleans, files, lists, tuples, comprehensions, functions, and classes.

Auric1983Commented:
Is it at all possible your running into some sort of duplicate data issue with only using the one parameter?

0
Chris LuttrellSenior Database ArchitectCommented:
can you post a screen shot of what you are trying to do and the error? Can the subreport be in a separate cell but within the first dataset?  Just trying to get a clear picture.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
jbfraserAuthor Commented:
I don't get any error message, just empty cells. I'm attaching screenshots. I've cut out _a_lot_ of the fields, so that we can focus on a single field that isn't working. I also grayed out client and personal information.

One screen shot is of the design view: you can see where the two subreports are.
The next shows what happens when I run with the bottom subreport included. The third shows what happens when I delete the subreport item. The red circles were added in MSPaint.




Design.jpg
WithSubreport.jpg
withoutSubreport.jpg
0
jbfraserAuthor Commented:
Good call. I added another row to the parent Tablix, and put the sub report in the new cell. Voila! All worked. Thanks for the responses.
0
Chris LuttrellSenior Database ArchitectCommented:
For others benefit to see what solved the problem:
Author Comments:
Good call. I added another row to the parent Tablix, and put the sub report in the new cell. Voila! All worked. Thanks for the responses.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
SSRS

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.