Solved

Modifying the rsreportserver.config has no effect

Posted on 2009-06-29
3
400 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
I'm trying to modify the  <Render> part of the config file. I need to alter some of the <Extension> but no matter what I do it has no effects on the report server.  
I did f.exs. remove all of the <Extension> elements in the <Render> part by adding them into <!-- -->, but I still am able to export to all of those formats anyway.

I even tried to restart the Reporting Services Services, with no success. I then deleted the Config file but then I wasn't able to restart the services, so I know that I'm altering the right config file.

Any ideas what I could do to get it to work?
<Render>
<!--
      <Extension Name="XML" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.XmlDataRenderer.XmlDataReport,Microsoft.ReportingServices.XmlRendering" />
    <Extension Name="NULL" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.NullRenderer.NullReport,Microsoft.ReportingServices.NullRendering" Visible="false" />
      <Extension Name="CSV" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.CsvRenderer.CsvReport,Microsoft.ReportingServices.CsvRendering" />
      <Extension Name="IMAGE" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.ImageRenderer.ImageReport,Microsoft.ReportingServices.ImageRendering" />
      <Extension Name="PDF" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.ImageRenderer.PdfReport,Microsoft.ReportingServices.ImageRendering" /> 
      <Extension Name="RGDI" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.ImageRenderer.RemoteGdiReport,Microsoft.ReportingServices.ImageRendering" Visible="false" LogAllExecutionRequests="false" />
      <Extension Name="HTML4.0" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.Html40RenderingExtension,Microsoft.ReportingServices.HtmlRendering" Visible="false" LogAllExecutionRequests="false" />
      <Extension Name="HTML3.2" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.Html32RenderingExtension,Microsoft.ReportingServices.HtmlRendering" Visible="false" />
      <Extension Name="MHTML" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.MHtmlRenderingExtension,Microsoft.ReportingServices.HtmlRendering" />
      <Extension Name="EXCEL" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.ExcelRenderer.ExcelRenderer,Microsoft.ReportingServices.ExcelRendering" />
      <Extension Name="AWDOC" Type="Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.DocRenderer,Aspose.Words.ReportingServices" />
      <Extension Name="AWDOCX" Type="Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.DocxRenderer,Aspose.Words.ReportingServices"/> 
      <Extension Name="AWRTF" Type="Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.RtfRenderer,Aspose.Words.ReportingServices" />
      <Extension Name="AWWML" Type="Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.WordMLRenderer,Aspose.Words.ReportingServices" />
      <Extension Name="AWHTML" Type="Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.HtmlRenderer,Aspose.Words.ReportingServices" />
      <Extension Name="AWTXT" Type="Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.TxtRenderer,Aspose.Words.ReportingServices" />
	  <Extension Name="AWDOC" Type="Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.DocRenderer,Aspose.Words.ReportingServices"/> 
-->
		
	</Render>

Open in new window

0
Comment
Question by:gosi75
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 17

Expert Comment

by:pssandhu
ID: 24736030
What are you trying to achieve exactly? Adding more options for exporting formats.
I think you should test if you delete an extension, is it affection the report server or not. Take out the comment tags, delete an extension (common one like excel), save the changes, restart all services for SQL server and then try exporting a report in report manager to excel to see if it worked or not.
P.
0
 

Author Comment

by:gosi75
ID: 24736250
I tried all this but without success. I deleted Excel extension and after restarting all of the services excel is still available for export.

What I'm trying to do is to limiting the list of extension possibilities from the report manager, by deleting some of the extensions.

Any other ideas what migth cause the changes in rsreportserver.config file not taking effect?
0
 
LVL 17

Accepted Solution

by:
pssandhu earned 500 total points
ID: 24736415
This might sound a bit silly to do but have tried rebooting the server if you are in a position to do so.
Try setting the Visible flag to false for one of the extensions and reboot the server.
P.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Introduction: When running hybrid database environments, you often need to query some data from a remote db of any type, while being connected to your MS SQL Server database. Problems start when you try to combine that with some "user input" pass…
In this article I will describe the Backup & Restore method as one possible migration process and I will add the extra tasks needed for an upgrade when and where is applied so it will cover all.
In a recent question (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29004105/Run-AutoHotkey-script-directly-from-Notepad.html) here at Experts Exchange, a member asked how to run an AutoHotkey script (.AHK) directly from Notepad++ (aka NPP). This video…

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question