• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 872
  • Last Modified:

Opening .txt and .pdf's from WebDav folders.

When trying to open .txt or pdf's from all client machines (XP sp2 and sp3, Vista Sp1) you get the following error. "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect' . You can after you get the error use the file menu of the assosiated app (notepad or Acrobat respectively) to do a File->Open->Browse to the file and open it normally.Oddly though you can open any MSOffice file (Word, Excel, PP, Access) with no errors at all. An additional issue is that you cannot double click on any file or directory object ot open them you have to Right Click and select either Explore or Open to open anything. I have spoken with microsoft and they gave me 2 Hotfixs to try but they did not work. I will list the KB's in the code box below. This one is a tough one, any insight would be appreciated.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907306
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943337

Open in new window

0
alduduk
Asked:
alduduk
1 Solution
 
loftywormCommented:
My knee jerk thought is that they may not be files, they may be links, I have seen this before.

Also, I know that Windows will treat files different depending on what folder the reside in, your IE cache folder for instance.  Try coping the offending files to a new location, and then see if you can open them that way, that will confirm if it is a folder location issue.
0
 
aldudukAuthor Commented:
I have tried moving the existing files and creating my own files in multiple directories within the WebDav site. Get the same results. You can open all the files, just all txt files  and pdfs have to be accessed from within an application. For example you can just launch Wordpad, Notepad or Word then from within the app do a file->browse to the mapped webdav folders and open .txt files with no problem. But you cannot browse to the webdav folders using explorer and click on the files to open them. If you browse to the webdav folder and right click on the file and choose open off the context menu it launches the associated app and immediately gives you an error dialog "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect'. It only does this with .txt and .pdf's. I have also gone into the webdav server and found that the files behave normally there. And if copied out of the webdav folder to a client machine they behave normally. I hope that this clarifies better whats going on. Thanks for the input.
0
 
loftywormCommented:
It does, and I think I might maybe know what is going on, but not sure how to direct you.
I had a similar issue with rdp files, and need to set up the server's MIME types in oder to get the server to allow the client to open up the file with an application, rather then the browser.  I did this inthe MIME type with the entry .rdp  Application/x-rdp.

Now how this reflects on yours, I am not certian.  It seems that the txt and pdf would be defined by default, but maybe something got munged, and it needs to be reset.
0
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

 
aldudukAuthor Commented:
Tried playing with the MiME settings but got no love, but then I was just stabbing in the dark with it. Basically tried changing some of the syntax for the file open statement, changed the DDE settings. Used the restore to default setting but to no avail.
0
 
loftywormCommented:
Sorry, I am outa ideas, maybe get a moderator to bump this again.  Sorry
0
 
aldudukAuthor Commented:
I appreciate your attempt. I am having a conference call with Microsoft tomorrow morning to see if they can come up with anything else.
0
 
loftywormCommented:
What was the answer from MS?

0
 
aldudukAuthor Commented:
A combination of permission settings and the setting for allowing scripts and executables.
0
 
CHINOSCommented:
Hi I have the exact problem, could you specify what settings and permissions had to be changed?  

Also, were you changing these settings on your local security policies or were they on some IIS server?

Thanks
0
 
bitGrokCommented:
I second CHINOS questions. Could you be more specific on what solved the problem? I am having the exact same issue.

Thanks.
0
 
aldudukAuthor Commented:
The answer Microsoft came up with that was actually unacceptable was to not use SSL encryption. With the certificate removed the problem went away. We tried alot of variations trying to get it to work with encryption but never got it working right. We ended up going with a VPN solution and dumping WebDav altogether. Sorry if this dosn't help. It was a very long and frustrating battle with Microsoft trying to figure this out. In the end they still had not conceeded that there was a problem with WebDav that couldn't be fixed, but my client had run out of patience and I had to find a different solution or lose the client.
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now