We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Check out our new AWS podcast with Certified Expert, Phil Phillips! Listen to "How to Execute a Seamless AWS Migration" on EE or on your favorite podcast platform. Listen Now

x

SBS Causes Extreme Slowdown of Network

compsol1993
compsol1993 asked
on
Medium Priority
722 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
Hello

We have determined a SBS 2003 R2 server is causing a severe slowdown of our network.  To rule out all other equipment, we connected only our router, a non-domain laptop, and the server to a 5-port 1Gbps switch (normally connected to a 24-port switch).  

The laptop is configured statically to get DNS from the router, not the SBS server, and is using the router as the gateway.  The SBS is not performing any router functions, it is just a server on the network with one NIC.

From the laptop, with the server NOT connected to the switch, our speeds are 3 Mbps down, 0.7 Mbps Up, ping time 55 ms (on speedtest).  About 10 seconds after we connect the server to the network, speeds drop to 1 Mbps down, 0.05 Mbps Up, 3000 ms.  Surfing is impossible, and accessing file share on the server is also very slow.  If you watch the lights on the switch, the server does not blink anymore than the laptop did without the server connected.

Here is the odd part, this slowdown is much more evident in the afternoon.  This made us think some scheduled task is causing the problem, so we checked and nothing is running.  The server is also running Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Server, but we disabled all services related to Symantec, and slowdown still occurred.

We ran Wireshark to get an idea of the traffic, and the only thing noticeable was SMTP traffic, at no higher a rate than one of the other SBS servers we manage.

Any thoughts on what we can check next?  We've swapped the network cables, ruled out the 24-port switch, as well as other devices on the network .  The router is a standard Linksys sharing the internet, with no advanced routing enabled.  

Thanks!
Comment
Watch Question

Sr. Systems Engineer
Top Expert 2009
Commented:
Unlock this solution and get a sample of our free trial.
(No credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION
Philip ElderTechnical Architect - HA/Compute/Storage
CERTIFIED EXPERT
Commented:
Unlock this solution and get a sample of our free trial.
(No credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION

Author

Commented:
Thanks for both of your responses:
renazonse:
Right now the speed is pretty good, and the queue is empty, we'll watch this afternoon to see if it slows down.

MPECSInc:
We know that this is the intended use, but this is not a server we built, we were brought in to solve this problem.  Even though that is the intended way, we do not feel that is causing our current problems, as the laptop connects fine when statically configured to use the router for direct internet access.  

As far as the update, yes it has been applied, and none of those functions had been disabled.

Thanks


Philip ElderTechnical Architect - HA/Compute/Storage
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
Unfortunately, SBS will not function properly if DHCP is NOT on the server.

Philip
Philip ElderTechnical Architect - HA/Compute/Storage
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
See the following for a proper setup checklist for SBS 2003:
http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2008/01/sbs-2k3-r2-setup-steps-and-resources.html

Philip

Author

Commented:
MPECSInc, thanks for your input.  I understand that this is the way SBS is intended to work, but we have worked with many instances where the DHCP was not controlled by the server, and have never experience problems.  

Aside from that being the issue, do you or does anyone else have any suggestions?  
Thanks
Philip ElderTechnical Architect - HA/Compute/Storage
CERTIFIED EXPERT

Commented:
If the configuration is non-standard, then there is very little else to suggest on my part.

Philip

Author

Commented:
Ok, thanks for your time MPECSInc, anybody else?

Author

Commented:
Our problems were a result of a corrupt Symantec Endpoint install.   Removing Endpoint solved 90% of our problems.  The other 10% were attributed to mass mailings being sent with large attachments, consuming our upload bandwidth.

Author

Commented:
Our problems mostly related to Symantec Endpoint, uninstalling brought back 90% of our speed.  The SMTP suggestion also slowed us down a little once we got symantec under control.
Unlock the solution to this question.
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Please provide your email to receive a sample view!

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.