Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Windows Share Issue

Posted on 2009-06-30
4
Medium Priority
?
268 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
Hi guys,

I've got a real issue that needs rectifying ASAP.

Last night, I was migrating some shares from one server to another (source we'll call SBS2K3 as it is SBS2003 and the destination server we'll call S002, which is a Win 2K3 R2 box). Everything seemed to go without a hitch, I changed the login scripts for the users, tested it and everything was working.

This morning, something had changed and I do not know what. The SBS2K3 box is also the DC (obviously) and S002 is just a file, print and backup server. The problem I have is that the SBS2K3 box does not show any shares if you browse to it by just using the UNC path \\SBS2K3, except one, 'Users' which is a share I unshared last night.

If I browse to the FQDN - \\SBS2K3.exampledomain.local then I can see all the printers, and administrative shares etc (no Users share).

This is a real problem, as clients are no longer able to access the group policies or the SYSVOL/NETLOGON shares - hence the new login scripts are not executing. I have tried adding connection specific DNS suffix etc to no avail.

Strangely, if I log on with any user account onto any static TCP/IP configured machine (i.e. another server, the S002 server etc), then I can view all the shares by just using the UNC path \\SBS2K3 with no domain  suffix. Any DHCP client has the issue described above. If you compare the IPConfig output between the servers and the DHCP clients, the output is identical bar the IP of the device. Also, if I browse by IP, all the shares are listed.

Bear in mind that yesterday, ALL was working fine. There are no DNS errors in the logs, and there has been no change in the DHCP options or the static setup of any box. The only thing that changed on the DC was I unshared the shares I'd migrated, and I'd changed the logon scripts.

Now I know what everyone is going to say, it's a DNS or WINS issue. It was working yesterday - and also the the SBS2K3 name resolves to the correct IP through NSLookup etc - and connecting by IP actually works. Also, I can connect to SBS2K3 by using just '\\SBS2K3' but it just displays the incorrect share (one that shouldn't exist). I have restarted the server service and the server itself to no avail.

Help!

Cheers
0
Comment
Question by:Big-Z213
  • 3
4 Comments
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:Big-Z213
ID: 24744626
oh, forgot to mention, all firewalls disabled etc. Just trying to get the message across that I've tried almost everything and now I'm absolutely stumped. Oh and the SBS server is in German so it's quite difficult to extract useful info from the logs - although whoever configured the auditing policy on the server left a lot to be desired anyway!
0
 
LVL 1

Expert Comment

by:Pickriff
ID: 24745924
I had a similar problem, with an SBS 2003 server, where i moved the shares from one drive to another, all appeared to go without a hitch and initial testing showed all was accessible, for some reason i forget now, i had to reboot the server and when it came back online all the shares had dissappeared.  Our network is configured with one Primary domain controller (SBS2003) and one SDC (Server 2003 R2).
WHat had happened is that when the PDC was shut down, the Computer browser service was transferred to the SDC, and the computer browser service on the PDC was disbled, hence all shares were invisible to all.
The resolution was to DIsable the service on the SDC and re-enable on the pdc and set to start automatically.     Kind of similar worth a quick check i think
0
 
LVL 1

Author Comment

by:Big-Z213
ID: 24746402
Thnaks for your reponse. As I can reach the shares by IP or by FQDN, then I do not believe the Computer Browser service to be at fault - checked it, it was running and I restarted for good measure but alas, the problem still exists.
0
 
LVL 1

Accepted Solution

by:
Big-Z213 earned 0 total points
ID: 24753098
OK - figured it out - Issue was with Offline folder syncing. Basically, if it was still enabled on the XP clients then it would direct them, when using the name 'SBS2K3' without a domain suffix to the share for their offline files. Disabling offline folder syncing on the clients solved the issue. I've never encountered this before but it's probably worth noting for anyone who encounters this issue in the future.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Path Explorer

An intuitive utility to help find the CSS path to UI elements on a webpage. These paths are used frequently in a variety of front-end development and QA automation tasks.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This is the first one of a series of articles I’ll be writing to address technical issues that are always referred to as network problems. The network boundaries have changed, therefore having an understanding of how each piece in the network  puzzl…
Learn about cloud computing and its benefits for small business owners.
Michael from AdRem Software explains how to view the most utilized and worst performing nodes in your network, by accessing the Top Charts view in NetCrunch network monitor (https://www.adremsoft.com/). Top Charts is a view in which you can set seve…
In this video, Percona Director of Solution Engineering Jon Tobin discusses the function and features of Percona Server for MongoDB. How Percona can help Percona can help you determine if Percona Server for MongoDB is the right solution for …

773 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question