I'm new to this website and turning to you guys as a last resort so I would be eternally grateful to anyone who knows a solution to this problem. I will be concise in my explanation and will briefly point out what has happened from start to finish. The current issue is that I am unable to reinstall Exchange 2003 on a DC running Windows Server 2003 Standard. The following Error is returned when installing the Exchange Collaboration and Messaging Services.
"Setup failed while installing sub-component System Attendant service with the error code 0xC00703E5 (Please consult the installation logs for a detailed description). You may cancel the installation or try the failed step again."
I used the following KB article during the Reinstallation of Exchange. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320202
From the beginning:
1. Exchange server is in working order and user asks for POP3 service to be enabled on the server for remote users.
2. New server role added "Mail Server" which installed POP3 and SMTP service. (Stupid I know)
3. Exchange mail flow stops working and IIS now has an SMTP Virtual Server with the drop down menu. (as if IIS has now taken control of SMTP Virtual Server)
4. Realized the problem and removed the "Mail Server" role. SMTP and POP3 service now missing. SMTP Virtual Server not running in Exchange System Manager.
5. Reinstalled SMTP service but still no joy. SMTP Virtual Server still showing within IIS!
6. Looked into the issue and decided to back up Information Store using NTBackup and also took a copy of MDBDATA after un-mounting the Information Store and stopping all Exchange services.
7. Uninstalled IIS and reinstalled successfully.
8. Reinstalled Exchange unsuccessfully with error: "Setup failed while installing sub-component System Attendant service with the error code 0xC00703E5&&."
9. Skipped error to continue and receive error at the end of the setup wizard "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress, ID no: c00703e5, Microsoft Exchange Setup"
10. Applied Service Pack 2 for Exchange Successful
11. Replaced MDBDATA with backup and started Services. All but "Exchange Routing Engine" started. "Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement this service"
12. After advice from various sources on the web I tried the Re-installation using the /disaster recovery switch. Again the same problem occurs.
I have not yet applied service pack 2 as I am sure I will received the same error with the Exchange Routing Engine. I am sure the problem now resides with the initial re-installation error received. How can this error be prevented? I can find little on this problem and most solutions point towards a permissions issue which I have tried to implement. One of the solutions involves making the Domain Admin the Local Admin of the server, however the Server is a DC so this is not possible. Please help if you are an Exchange Guru! I am desperate for your input on this problem.