sbs monitoring wizard fails on all steps
Posted on 2009-07-01
I have been getting events in the log for my SBS2003 for a long while regarding Sharepoint and Monitoring.
Both are failing;
Monitoring generates a 4104 error (cannot connect to the monitoring database) and Sharepoint generates a 1000 event - the #50070 error - cannot connect to database STS_servername on servername\sharepoint
Initially I want to get monitoring working again and then sharepoint. I mention both in this question because they may be related (both being SQL database connection errors).
I tried running the Monitoring setup wizard but it fails on all steps. Here is the log:
MCW.exe execution started...
- Display performance reports in Server Management.
- Configure your server to send daily performance reports at 6:00 am.
- Configure your server to send bi-weekly usage reports at 6:30 am on every other Monday.
- Reports will be e-mailed to the following recipient(s):
- Display usage reports in Server Management.
- Enable logging for your applications.
- Assign the following users permissions to view the usage report on the intranet:
- Configure your server to e-mail immediate notification of performance alerts to the following recipient(s):
- Send welcome e-mail to recipients specified for each report.
Starting Datastore configuration, now is Date: 2009-07-01 Time: 13:28:01
GetConfigurations returned. *** ERROR: hr = 0x80004005, Unspecified error
CreateDB returned. *** ERROR: hr = 0x80040e14
SetupDatabase returned. *** ERROR: hr = 0x80040e14
***** Configuring Data Store Failed *****
Progress page finished
At the moment I can't reinstall because I'm not on site and the setup wizard for SBS won't run unless I'm on the built-in admin account - remote desktop isn't good enough it seems.