I have a new Dell Poweredge Server with SBS 2008 preinstalled. I ran through the configurations for both Exchange 2007, and Sharepoint. Everything is functioning fine, we even have the Remote Web Workplace functioning. The problem was noticed as I tried to assign tasks to a user and they did not receive any email. I checked into the problem and verified that the list is set to send email, the Central Administration settings are set to allow the web application to send and receive email, but none of my alerts will send email. I tried to use the exchange test and I am receiving the error:
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for...
The local exchange is using a .local pattern and the external email is a .com, but exchange is configured to also know the local users as .com. The default name of the Sharepoint site is CompanyWeb, but the remote name is remote.domainname.com which has its own MX on our DNS server.
I have tried changing the Central Administration Outgoing Email Settings to point to our local server name, IP, and I also left it as the SharepointSMTPServer which was set up by default which has a Host A record pointing to the local server IP. I just fell like I must be missing something obvious because nothing is working