How to clear OWA 2007n autocomplete entries

I need tor remove a number of OWA autocomplete entries for all users on the network, without going to each user's mailbox and manually deleting the entry. Is there a way of automating this process?
itmtsnAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

aslamsurveProject ManagerCommented:
Resolution
============
As a user, you have two ways:
1. Delete an entry from the list using OWA
2. Delete the entire list using OWA


1. Delete an entry from the list using OWA:
To remove one entry of the list, highlight the name in the list (arrow up and arrow
down allow you to highlight the name you want to remove, and press the Delete
button on your keyboard.

2. Delete the entire list using OWA
To remove all entries in the list, you can log on to your mailbox using Outlook Web
Access Light
Go to Options - Messaging - Under Email Name Resolution - Click Clear Most Recent
Recipients List
0
itmtsnAuthor Commented:
Ok.

But say I know I have a rogue entry Fred Bloggs and want to remove that from all two thousand mailboxes OWA receipient lists. Is there a way to do this without reproducing your step one 2000 times?
0
MesthaCommented:
As far as I am aware, the autocomplete list is a per mailbox setting, it cannot be controlled centrally. Therefore I am not aware of a way to remove the entry globally.

Is the rouge entry internal? If so then you could look to do something to redirect that entry across. Otherwise it has to be done individually.

Simon.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Big Business Goals? Which KPIs Will Help You

The most successful MSPs rely on metrics – known as key performance indicators (KPIs) – for making informed decisions that help their businesses thrive, rather than just survive. This eBook provides an overview of the most important KPIs used by top MSPs.

itmtsnAuthor Commented:
We used to have two networks here. Each with seperate domains and email.

We will be merging the smaller network into our domain.

There used to be an SMTP contact in our AD so that Exchange users could easily email members of our Accounts team (the sperate network).

Before creating en exchange mailbox for that user I deleted the SMTP contact for them and this is where the problem seems to be.

If you email them at their new address (domain1) it works fine as does emailing them to their old address (domain2) which we have set Outlook to deliver to their Exchange mailbox. The problem comes within our Exchange organisation using OWA.

A user who has previously emailed that user Fred Bloggs (FBloggs@domain2) will just type in Fred select the Fred Bloggs entry from their autocomplete list and hit send. The email goes off. It then bounces back a few seconds later with an undeliverable error.

I thought this was strange because as I said their old Pop3 email still works fine and is delivered to their Exchange address.

When investigatin the error it seems it is trying to deliver the message to FredBloggs@domain1. Somehow concatenating the name and appending our exchange domain onto it as it doesnt fine it as an SMTP contact within AD and doesn't seem to use the FQemail address associated with the autocomplete entry.

Kinda weird!.

The only way around this I can think of either re-creating the SMTP contact at their old address or creating an alias of FredBloggs@domain1 for each user we move over.
0
MesthaCommented:
If you look at the Contacts you will find they actually have two addresses - an SMTP address and an X.400 address. Exchange uses that X.400 address for its internal routing.
Therefore what you should have done (I know - easy to say after the event) was lift both he X.400 address and the SMTP address and apply them to the new User Account.

This article from the Microsoft SBS team covers what would need to have been done in more detail - it doesn't just apply to Mailboxes, but contacts as well.
http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/05/21/cannot-reply-to-old-emails-or-modify-old-calendar-items-after-pst-mail-migration.aspx

As for what can be done about it now, you might be able to recreate the address if you are careful, and place it on to the live user's account. That should ensure the previously used names work.

POP3 etc works because they are using straight SMTP address. Exchange doesn't use the SMTP address for routing email internally, it does its own thing.

Simon.
0
itmtsnAuthor Commented:
.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.