I just order an unmanaged VPS hosting for a gaming server (ragnarok online) that I want to run on it. I'm currently a novice at Ubuntu Linux which is the OS for the VPS server I order.
I would like to know a couple of things.
1) How do you open and edit a text file through the terminal window? I'm currently connected to the server through puTTy and trying to open this file and edit it "/etc/apt/sources.list" so I can enable universal repositories and install things. I'm not so sure about this.
2) After I edit this file to enable universal repositories, I want to install GNOME. I read somewhere that you need to enter this command in the terminal window.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Is this the right command?
3) Once I finish installing GNOME, I like to install VNC (remote desktop). I already have VNC viewer on my laptop. Now I only have to install VNC server on the server. I read somewhere that the command to do this is:
sudo apt-get install x11vnc vnc-java
Is this right? Then I have to do this:
2. Set up a password for clients. Code: x11vnc -storepasswd
3. Open up ports 5800 and 5900 on your firewall
4. Run the terminal command: x11vnc -forever -usepw -httpdir /usr/share/vnc-java/ -httpport 5800 and add it for auto-starting in future sessions
Are these the right steps for installing VNC on the server?
4) After I install both of these software, am I set to start installing and running my gaming server? Or is there any other small things I have to do? Remind you, this is a newly Ubuntu server 32 bit with nothing besides Apache and the setup files.
I greatly appreciate anyone's help.