Dataprotectionmanager (DPM) Secondary protection fails after DPM server rebuild
Posted on 2009-07-05
I have a problem with a DPM infrastructure being protected from primary and secondary DPM.
DPM1 and DPM2 protecting SERVER1 and SERVER2.
DPM3 protecting DPM1 and DPM2 (and SERVER1 and SERVER2) as secondary.
New DPM4 had to be installed to protect the 2 servers because of disk space being a problem with the 2 DPM1 and DPM2 servers.
- Installed DPM4
- Stopped protection on DPM1 and DPM2 retaining data for previous recovery points
- Move protection from DPM1 and DPM2 to DPM4 by commands (attach-productionserver and setdpmserver.exe), that worked.
- Shutdown of DPM1 and DPM2
- Activated protection groups on new DPM4 and worked fine for 2 days to get first recovery points
- Stopped secondary protection on DPM3, that generated an error because of the missing DPM1 and DPM2, but task finished anyway
- Removed all data from secondary protection (no retain)
- Setup secondary protection on DPM3
At this point the DPM3 server (secondary) says it is unable to start protection for SERVER1 and SERVER2, telling that DPM1 and DPM2 servers can't be found (they are the 2 old primary servers).
There seems to be no way to make DPM3 server understand that DPM1 and DPM2 are off and that the DPM4 is the server to talk with.
Tryed reinstalling the DPM on DPM4 from scratch, uninstalled agents from SERVER1 and SERVER2 and recreated all protection from scratch.
Recreated then secondary protection on DPM3 but nothing to do: still searches for old DPM1 and DPM2.
Tryied even powering on old DPM1 and DPM2.
DPM3 finds them, then goes to new DPM4 and says "data source not available".
Anyone knows how to clean up the old information on the secondary server to remove all old references and prevent secondary server to search for old ones ?