Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

WSUS Import error on detached WSUS Server

Posted on 2009-07-06
6
Medium Priority
?
4,197 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
I have two WSUS Servers.  One has internet access and one does not and is on an standalone network.  I'm using the the WSUS server that is connected to the internet to download and export the updates to the WSUS Server on the standalone network.  Below is my process and the specs.

1. Copy the contents of WSUSContents from WSUS Server with internet to WSUS Server on standalone network.
2. Run the "wsusutil.exe export export.cab export.log" command on the WSUS Server with internet.  
3. Copy the "export.log" and "export.cab" from the WSUS Server with internet to Server on standalone network.
4. Run the "wsusutil.exe import export.cab export.log" command on the WSUS Server on standalone network.

Running step 4 from above I get the following error message in the command prompt:   ExpandCabinetToDirectory(C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\tmp45.tmp): failed(13)Import failed to import updates. Please look at the logfile for error details.
Fatal Error: Unable to uncompress package.        

I check for tmp45.tmp file and it does not exist.  I've made sure that Administrators has access to the temp folder and even granted WSUS Adminstrators access as well.

When I check the export.log file (C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools) it goes from it's original size of 6meg to 1kb and contains the following error:   <?xml version="1.0"encoding="utf-8"?><ImportLog Time="2009-07-06T17:20:172"><ImportError Message="Unable to uncompress package"/></ImportLog>

All commands on both servers were ran from the local administrator account.  Both WSUS Servers are configured the same to the best of my ability including WSUS settings.

WSUS Server with Internet info:
     1. virtual Win2003sp2 SE x86 running on VMWorkstation 6.5.2 with XP sp2 x86 host.
     2. running WSUS 3.0 sp1 x86

WSUS Server on standalone network info:
     1. virtual Win2003sp2 SE x86 running on HYPER-V Server (v.R1)
     2. running WSUS 3.0 sp1 x86

Any advice or guidance would greatly be appreciated!
0
Comment
Question by:ESM02
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 3
6 Comments
 
LVL 47

Accepted Solution

by:
Donald Stewart earned 1000 total points
ID: 24791726
Have you gone over this doc?



Set Up a Disconnected Network (Import and Export Updates)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720512(WS.10).aspx


Be sure to look at steps 1-3 at bottom of page
0
 
LVL 47

Expert Comment

by:Donald Stewart
ID: 24791731
0
 

Author Comment

by:ESM02
ID: 24796679
Thank you for the reply.  I did try the first link and am now going to try the script from the second link.  Will post the results.
0
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

 

Author Comment

by:ESM02
ID: 24854735
Well I got the import to work by rebuilding the Import Server.  But now, after successfully importing into the import server, I have to continuesly restart BITS to "kick start" the download.  After that it will run a little bit and then stop again (stop for hours).  Once I restart BITS, it downloads some more.  
0
 
LVL 47

Expert Comment

by:Donald Stewart
ID: 24856481
any  errors in the eventlog???
0
 

Author Comment

by:ESM02
ID: 24883647
Fixed it!  Believe it was a combination of:
1. the way I was coping the "WSUSContent".  I was just selecting all, copying to external drive, and pasting on Import server.  I instead, performed the process using the ntbackup utility.
2. Our Export server wasn't able to download all the updates that I approved do to company proxy/firewall blocking some of the updates from downloading, therefore generating some errors in the metadata I assume.  I gained access to a "wide open" connection to eliminate that problem.

Thank you all for your response.
0

Featured Post

Enroll in October's Free Course of the Month

Do you work with and analyze data? Enroll in October's Course of the Month for 7+ hours of SQL training, allowing you to quickly and efficiently store or retrieve data. It's free for Premium Members, Team Accounts, and Qualified Experts!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Microsoft has released remote PowerShell capabilities to all commercial Office 365 customers. So you can be controlled via PowerShell and not from the Office 365 admin center Download Windows PowerShell Module for Lync Online http://www.micros…
This article provides a convenient collection of links to Microsoft provided Security Patches for operating systems that have reached their End of Life support cycle. Included operating systems covered by this article are Windows XP,  Windows Server…
This course is ideal for IT System Administrators working with VMware vSphere and its associated products in their company infrastructure. This course teaches you how to install and maintain this virtualization technology to store data, prevent vuln…
Despite its rising prevalence in the business world, "the cloud" is still misunderstood. Some companies still believe common misconceptions about lack of security in cloud solutions and many misuses of cloud storage options still occur every day. …
Suggested Courses

610 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question