Alright, I have spent a few days on this issue and I am not seeing any progress. I have read countless articles and haven't found the answer yet.
I am running SBS 2003 with exchange patched to service pack 2.
I am using the iphone 3G to try to connect to the exchange server.
I can access mail.mydomain.com/exchange
to get my email through owa. (outside my network)
When I try to access https://internaldomain/oma
from inside my network I get a login prompt, but when I put domain\user and password it gives me "A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator." error.
I purchased a certificate from Godaddy, and followed their instructions to install both certs they sent me, then email myself the cert on my iphone and installed it there.
I have tried every possible combination of server/username on the phone, but I always get "CANNOT GET MAIL" "The Connection to the server failed." although sometimes it also pops up with incorrect username/password at the same time.
When I look at my OWA Logs i can see my attempts at connecting, but the logs do not give me any other information useful (Im not 100% on ciphering these logs) but it shows "/Microsoft-Server/ActiveS
ync - 443 - 000.000.000.000 Apple-iPhone/701.341 403 6 0 1744 302"
I have every port anyone has ever mentioned open on my firewall. I do not currently have the list but 443 is one of them, and if you ask me to test a few more, I will tell you the results.
IMAP4 is started with all the sll encryption settings on.
If you need any further information let me know, I cant think of anything else to tell you to fill you in more on my situation.