I have two Exchange 2003 Servers hosting mailboxes for about 40 domains. I recently tried to add another domain and began having delivery problems. After much troubleshooting I stepped back and setup a TEST account and domain (a completely different domain from the one we started) and noticed that the issues continued. I rather not bore you guys with details and jump right to my last step that had left me scratching my head:
- If I OPEN Relay on both exchange servers, all mail delivery for new domains is successful. If I CLOSE Relays on both exchange servers (as we want and have had for the past 5 years) delivery to the NEW domains fails with the errors below.
- I used http://www.testexchangeconnectivity
. com to generate the error in the Code Snippet. I also have my NDR below to show you the issue.
- The problem occurs when mail is sent from any server EXCEPT internal (internal mail flows through fine).
- Recipient Policies (obviously I hope) have the new domains in them and the changes propagate out.
- The last time we added a domain was about 3 months ago, and had no issues.
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for firstname.lastname@example.org
m (state 14).
Server returned status code 550 - Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for email@example.com
Message: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for firstname.lastname@example.org
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)