So, my network currently has a Linksys WRT54G router connected to a Netopia 3346n gateway that is in bridged mode, with the static IP on the Linksys WRT54G. I am trying to replace this WRT54G with a Linksys RVS4000 so that I can establish some point to point vpns. I used my laptop to connect to the RVS4000 and duplicated the static ip setup and all of the port forwarding from the WRT54G so that they had identical settings. I then unplug the Netopia, unplug the WRT, Transfer all cables from WRT to RVS, plug in Netopia, then plug in RVS.
After replacing the RVS, I am able to connect to the internet for about 1 minute. I set up a ping -t to ping google, and another to ping the router (at this point I have plugged directly into the RVS with my laptop to eliminate another peice of network hardware being the problem), and after visiting a web page or two both ping requests will fail. Once this happens, I can't get to the router config page, ping it, or anything. It is like it disappears off the network. I can reboot it, and it will work for another minute, and then disappear. All the lights are lit up on the RVS as if everything is working fine. I feel like this is a bad router, but since it doesn't happen when I don't have the internet connected to it (I just have it powered on and connected to my laptop) I am able to ping it forever, and I never have a problem getting to the configuration page. All of the local lan setting are the same between the two router. Same IP address, same DHCP server settings, so I don't see how it could be an IP address conflict since the WRT is unplugged by the time the RVS is powered on.
Also, I have attempted to maintain connectivity by setting my IP settings on my laptop to static, and then changed to DHCP...It doesn't seem to make a difference. It is like this for every computer on the network, and once I remove the RVS, and put the WRT back in and reboot the netopia, all is well and the internet/network is back to normal. Also, this is a microsoft windows peer to peer network, though I doubt that matters.
Has anyone ever heard of this happening, and if so, please let me know what I can do to fix it. I am going to try and use the router on my home network (but it is pppoe instead of static) to see if the problem happens in both environments. I think I just have a bum router and am going to have to RMA it, but I wanted to try here first.