Well, I just bought a Buffalo Terastation II Pro NAS. Nice machine, and it's adverstised to work with Active Directory. Problem is, you can only apply permissions to root shares. Any sub-folders or files within the share can't be managed either from the Terastation's browser interface, or through my servers. So... I returned it.
Which brings me to my question: Can anyone provide me with a suggestion for a NAS That's no more than $750 and I can manage user permissions/access from my server?
Here's a bit more information as to how I need to use it:
Our Proliant rack server has two 72G drives (Raid 1). Rather than spend money upgrading to to 300 Gb drives, (which is the max drive size available for this server) I would rather use a NAS since I can get greater storage for less money.
- I need to create 2 shares: ShareA and ShareB
- All domain computers will be mapped to Z drive and Y drive respectively
- ShareA and ShareB represent 2 different companies
- I need to migrate ALL of CompanyA's folders to ShareA
- I need to migrate ALL of CompanyB's folders to ShareB
- There are over 1700 folders/sub-folders per company!
- Different folders, sub-folders, (and even some files) have different permission/access levels depending on the domain user or group.
Any suggestions? Thanks!