I'm planning a total redo of our servers for a High School.
Presently we have a 2850 (1 vmserver 1.0 (dc, dns), win2k3 ent), 5 1750's (7 vms. (vmserver 1.0), exchg (front and back), AV, web, web filter, bkup dns, fileserver; all win2k3 stnd)
I was considering purchasing Vsphere4 standard, which includes::
* VMware ESXi or VMware ESX
* VMFS (Virtual Machine File System)
* 4-way Virtual SMP
* VMware vCenter Server Agent
* VMware vStorage APIs / VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB)
* VMware Update Manager
* VMware High Availability (HA)
* VMware vStorage Thin Provisioning
I'm wondering about storage. I'm looking at 3 options, a Buffalo 2TB NAS (NFS, many around ~$500, unsupported by VMWare); Iomega ix4-200r (NFS, $1600, supported by VMWare); or just using local storage and giving up HA.
I'm also thinking that if I just use local storage and backup my vm's frequently, I might as well save more money and only use ESXi for free instead of purchasing Vsphere4.