Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 Routing Groups

Posted on 2009-07-09
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
I have set up an exchange 2007 server and and migrating to an exchange 2003 server.  I moved a few mailboxes over to the new server and the users have reported that they are missing some internal emails.  I found the mail messages int eh Queue Viewer under the "Unreachable Domain" queue.  

I have tried the steps to re-create the routing group connector detailed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997292(printer).aspx

I also deleted all of the routing group connectors and re-created just one of them.

After that I tried to resubmitt the messages in the queue:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995987(printer).aspx

I still have messages in the "Unreachable Domain Queue" that just won't go anywhere.

Question by:brentc3114a
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2

Accepted Solution

aslamsurve earned 1000 total points
ID: 24815658
If you check the Queue Viewer & observe a message stuck in "Unreachable Domain Queue"
Error - There is currently no route to the mailbox database, -
Permissions would be missing for Exchange Servers group .........
(1)Open ADSIEDIT.msc ,navigate to the properties of the Exchange 2003 ServerName ie
(Configuration Container->Services-->Microsoft Exchange-><Org name><Administrative
group><First Administrative group> <Servers><Exchange 2003 ServerName>)
2)Click Security tab,Add Exchange Servers Group
3)Enable Allow Permission Entry for Exchange Servers group for the below ones

Access Recipient Update Service
Administrator information store
Create name properties in the information store
Exchange Web Services Impersonation
Exchange Web Services Token Serialization
Modify public folder replica list
Open mail send queue
Read metabase properties
Send As
View Information Store status

4)Click Advance button,enable allow inheritable permissions for Exchange Servers

5)Click ok twice.

6)Restart all the Exchange Services on E2K7 Server
LVL 40

Expert Comment

ID: 24817318
Refer the article for troubleshooting steps
You can also use Exchange Mail Flow Troubleshooter tool to fix this issue.

Author Comment

ID: 24817602
Tried both of these solutions.  Mail seems to work fine (send receive between Exchange 07 and Exchange 2003 works but I still have 26 messages in the "unreachable" queue on my hub transport server?  Nothing I do seems to make them move on to their destination.  I tried the resume-Queue -Identify "ExchangeHubtransportserver\Unreachable" command but it has no effect?  The messages still stay in that queue.  Incidently, no new messages have made it into the Unreachable queue since I deleted all the routing group connectors and re set them all up.  I also did the security item mentioned in the first post.
LVL 40

Assisted Solution

Subsun earned 1000 total points
ID: 24818480
Try Retry-Queue -Identity "Exchange01\Unreachable" -Resubmit $True
or try Exporting and Resubmitting

Featured Post

Has Powershell sent you back into the Stone Age?

If managing Active Directory using Windows Powershell® is making you feel like you stepped back in time, you are not alone.  For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
This article will help to fix the below errors for MS Exchange Server 2013 I. Certificate error "name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site" II. Out of Office not working III. Make Internal URLs and Externa…
In this video we show how to create an Address List in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Organization >> Ad…
In this video we show how to create a mailbox database in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Servers >> Data…
Suggested Courses

770 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question