Solved

crystal report with barcode installed inconsistent

Posted on 2009-07-09
6
639 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-07
I have 2 similar reports that use idautomation barcode font 128a in a formula field.  The field is mapped to a sql field in the report database.  The reports are embedded in designer in vb6 applications.

Report1 has no issues running on any machine as long as the fonts are installed.  Report2 runs on 2 of 6 machines I've tested.  On the other 2 I am getting the crystal report error "remaining text does not appear to be part of the formula" when it tries to open the report on 2 XP machines, 1 of these a brand new machine.  Both of these machines can run Report1 without error.

The error is tracked to the formula field for the error.  When I remove the formula, there is no error.

I have tried re-registering the CRUFLHD.dll, downloading and installing a new copy of the old version, and downloading and installing the latest version.  No help.

It makes no sense to me why the same machine can one report with the same formula field and barcode font, but not crash on the barcode formula field on the other.

 
0
Comment
Question by:Delta7428
  • 4
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 100

Expert Comment

by:mlmcc
ID: 24816688
What version of Crystal?

mlmcc
0
 

Author Comment

by:Delta7428
ID: 24816706
Crystal 8.0
0
 

Author Comment

by:Delta7428
ID: 24818085
I've decided to try converting the report to crystal in VS 2008.  I can't get the report to load.  I downloaded IDAutomation.NetAssembly.dll and added a reference to my project.
I'm not sure what to do next.

The text field on the CR8 report is formatted:  IDAutomationFontEncoderCode128a ({table1.field1})
I changed it according to the format I found on idautomation's site:
FontEncoder.Code128(txtDataToEncode.Text)

http://www.idautomation.com/fonts/tools/dotnet-assembly/

Any body?
0
Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

 
LVL 100

Expert Comment

by:mlmcc
ID: 24818230
I haven't used the .Net versions so I don't know.

mlmcc
0
 

Author Comment

by:Delta7428
ID: 24819105
Converting to .Net right now is not my preference.  It's not just a matter of converting the report, I'd have to recode the entire application.  So if you come up with anything ...  I've tried everything imaginable to me, including:
1) Formatting a hardcoded string in place of the field.
2) Creating a new report.
3) Making a copy of the report that will run and modifying it with the different tables required for the report that won't work.
4) Modifying the datatype (the barcode field on working report is varchar, the other is nvarchar)
5) Creating a new project.
6) Saving the .dsr report to an rpt. and replacing the .dsr with the new rpt
7) The dll stuff I mentioned in my original post
8) Creating a blank report with just 1 string formatted to a barcode

There's probably more I could add to the list if I thought real hard.  This seems to be a dead end and might be the first issue I've had to wave the white flag to in the 4 years I've been in my present job.  :( I'm thinking there's some dll conflict somewhere.  We've had glitches pop up on other CR 8 reports due to Microsoft upgrades and loss of support there.  i.e, It's not longer possible on an XP machine to export a CR8 report to an RTF without making registry changes.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Delta7428 earned 0 total points
ID: 24840603
This is mysteriously working.

Each app that kicked off report1 and report2, retrieved and sent the report paramers in different ways.  The parameter was the string part of the bar code formula.  The report that wouldn't work was looping through selected row(s) on a grid and sending a column value it to the report as a parameter and running the report multiple times, potentially, if more than one row was selected.  I doubt any user is selecting more than 1 row.   After taking the loop out and just sending the column value of the current row as a parm it started working ... BUT after running it a few times, it started getting the error again.

I got the vs2008 version of the crystal report working as a stand alone report in an exe. After I installed it on the machine that was getting the error on the cr8 report, it starting working consistently, as of the last 3 days anyway.

I'll award points for anyone that might have some relevant input or guess as WHY IS IT WORKING NOW?!!
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Hello everyone, Hope you find this as helpful as we did. We have on the company I work for an application built in Delphi V with Crystal Reports 8. We all know that Crystal & Delphi can be temperamental sometimes and the worst thing is, nearly…
Calculating holidays and working days is a function that is often needed yet it is not one found within the Framework. This article presents one approach to building a working-day calculator for use in .NET.
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to bulk import 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.

792 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question