HP MSA 2000/Dell MD3000i Storage Questions
Posted on 2009-07-10
I'm looking at the HP Storageworks 2000 series units and was wondering if anyone who has used these could answer a few questions:
1. The HP MSA 2000sa is a SAS direct attached unit, what does this mean exactly? It sounds like you attach your servers to this unit with a SAS cable and provide storage to the servers through a direct connect 3Gbps link, is that correct?
2. Can you still do iSCSI with the sa unit or do you have to use the HP MSA 2000i unit for iSCSI?
3. In situations where I might want to direct attach a server AND do iSCSI what is recommended?
4. The Dell MD3000i SAN comes with a remote technician that helps with initial config, does anyone know if HP is doing this with their MSA 2000's ?
5. Anyone who has had experience with both the Dell MD3000i and the HP MSA2000i units - can you please provide sopme feedback on which you prefer and why?
These questions stem from me thinking about implementing two ESX servers as well as having one physical SQL server attached to shared storage.