Delay when opening Word & Excel files locally and Network Based
Posted on 2009-07-12
My client has just replaced their DELL Latitude D630 under a warranty claim that was based on Hardware faults. These faults were predominantly network performance based and tracked to faulty system board, disk etc.
DELL Latitude D630
WinXP PRO SP3
Office 2003 SP3
Office of 12 Windows XP Clients, 1 Windows 2003 SBServer, 1 x 2003 Server Std.
This laptop travels with it's user to Asia on a regular basis, operates on VPN.
The laptop when in-office is docked, this problem occurs out of dock aswell.
The main problem that has been occurring is the lag time when attempting to open Word & Excel files from both Application \ File Open and WIndows Explorer navigation \ double click and attaching these files in an email.
- I can confirm there aren't any redundant network mappings
- Registry has been cleaned by Privacy and Registry Cleaner
- Microsoft Support Article ID: 833041 (Registry DWORD Value - EnableShellDataCaching Value added:1)
- Page File set to recommended settings
- Disk is Defragged
- 1 partition, 85% free space (160GB Disk)
- Laptop is 1 month old, these characteristics are similar to the old laptop that was replaced under warranty and have only started occurring 1 week ago.
- Until 1 week ago none of these symptoms were present.
- No new installs or environmental changes have taken place.
ANY help to determine the cause of the slow Office Application responses will be most appreciated...