I'm very new to VMware and I'm trying to get SSH working so I can use Symantec System Recovery to Create a VM of a physical machine (I guess it says I need to have SSH enabled to copy the files.) I went through the proceedure I found online but I'm not having any luck. The machine is local on my network and I am able to ping and get to the box by using the infrastructure client. I have disabled my firewall on my PC and still no SSH. I've used putty and I keep getting a connection refused message
Here is the procedure I followed:
1. Go to the ESXi console and press alt+F1
2. Type: unsupported
3. Enter the root password(No prompt, typing is blindly)
4. At the prompt type vi /etc/inetd.conf
5. Look for the line that starts with #ssh (you can search with pressing /)
6. Remove the # (press the x if the cursor is on the character)
7. Save /etc/inetd.conf by typing :wq!
8. Restart the management service /sbin/services.sh restart
I've restarted the machine completely and haven't had any luck.
VMware Server 3i 3.5.0 build 123629