1. Starting with a SQL Express database which is 3.46 GB.
2. Delete .3 GB of data
3. 1st compact is performed. Database size goes down. Shrinks by .15GB (From 3.46GB to 3.31 GB.)
3. 2nd compact is performed Database size goes up. Expands by .33GB (From 3.31GB to 3.64 GB.)
4. 3rd compact is performed Database size goes down. Shrinks by .42GB (From 3.64GB to 3.32 GB.)
5. Import 641 KB of data. Database size goes up. Expands by .32GB (From 3.32GB to 3.64 GB.)
Included is the SQL code used to shrink the database and the log file
exec master.dbo.sp_dboption <<DB _NAME>>,'trunc. log on chkpt.','true'