Windows Server 2003-2008 Migration/Upgrade/Fresh Install
Here is the basic situation. I have two domain controllers on our network. One is a physical machine (Dell Poweredge 1950 - Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard) and one Virtual (running in Parallels Server on an iMac Windows Server 2008 Standard).
I would like to make the 2003 Server a 2008 Server... I have a few questions...
1. Can I promote the VM to be the Primary DC; take the 2003 DC offline; Do a clean install on the physical machine and then re-promote it to Primary DC (with the same name that it had)?
2. Should I use the 32bit or 64bit version? It is only a DC and a Printer Server/ I have other 32 bit servers on the network... will this make a difference in their performance as well?
3. Aside from temporarily losing print services... What other problems would be causes if I did it during normal business hours?
4. Would I have to rejoin all the computers to the domain after it is completed? Will I have to re-deploy printers to everyone? I have one shared directory on the machine... will I have to set it up on the workstations again?
5. Will Windows 2008 as all DCs effect a SQL 2005 instance on a 2003 Server machine???
Okay... that's my start... I want to avoid doing an inplace upgrade, because I want to put bigger hard drives in the server... Thank you for whatever help you could provide...