I am designing a report using the Visual Studio 2008 embedded Crystal Reports. In this report there are several items that must be displayed using barcodes. The report output format must be pdf. The report runs OK but in the pdf file the barcode font does not render. It merely displays the numerical values in normal display format. If you do a report preview the barcode font displays OK, but not in the pdf. I have tried several different barcode fonts, all with the same result. I have installed the fonts each time both on the local client machine and on the development and runtime server. I see other people have reported this issue, but I did not see any satisfactory solution short of purchasing a complete barcode add-on package. That seems to be a bit of overkill for what I want to do.