Crystal Reports not updating when .NET Datasets changed

I have some crystal reports that uses a viewer and Report.xsd as a schema for the data/field names that will be returned by my Stored procedures.

I have updated the SPROCs to add 3 new fields.  Next I updated the .xsd with the name and type of new fields so that they are in sync.  No errors when I compile.

Next I check out my CR Report, and when I try Verify Database, it says its already up to date and doesn't add new fields.  

So since i know this is not true, under Field Explorer, I right click and choose Set DataSource Location.  Choose Properties from under Report/report name, go under filepath, erase it, then am given a prompt for a dataset and select the same dataset.  Now the fields are updated, but no data will show.

I know there is data because I test the SPROC in Mssql Manager and it returns a row with data in these fields...Is this a glitch or am I doing wrong?   anything anyone suspects which can be causing this behavior?   Basically, though, I just want a solution so I can done with these reports...

Thanks in advance.
LVL 21
silemoneAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Bob LearnedCommented:
I work with 2005 Team Suite edition, and I have had that same problem.  I have noticed that the order of things is important to be able to change the schema file, and then verify the database.  I used to close the IDE, and restart, but I believe that I have found a way to do that without exiting, but the steps are not perfectly clear to me right now.
0
mlmccCommented:
Crystal sometimes if you don't logoff the datasource will not find the updated file but rather use the one it has loaded into cache.

mlmcc
0
Bob LearnedCommented:
@mlmcc
Since this is an .xsd schema file, and not a pull data source, there isn't any "logoff" to be done that I know of.
0
Introduction to R

R is considered the predominant language for data scientist and statisticians. Learn how to use R for your own data science projects.

mlmccCommented:
I haven't used xsd files but have used xml which have the definitionn and the data so they do require a logoff.

mlmcc
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Bob LearnedCommented:
Mike,

With the VS.NET 2005 IDE, logging off the server disconnects the .xsd file from the report, so you would need to reconnect again.  That is not a necessary, or desireable step, since it is not needed to verify the report.  I believe that this is about a specific sequence of steps to modify the XSD Schema file with the report closed, and then re-open the report and verify the database after the .xsd is changed.

I guess this is just going to be a conversation between the two of us!!

Bob
Crystal---Database---Log-On-Or-O.png
0
silemoneAuthor Commented:
Thanks all...I was out, but will look over your suggestions today and add questions as needed.
0
silemoneAuthor Commented:
TheLearnedOne, could you please provide me the steps?  

Here are my steps.  I am using 3 technologies here....

1) Vs2005
2) SourceSafe
3) CR XI release 2

my Steps:

1)  I updated the stored procedure...
2)  Check out the .xsd file...view code, update fields, save, check back in...
3)  Check out .rpt file...Open (which defaults to open in CR XI release 2 environment)...
4)  Verify Database....if already says 'DB already updated', then I go to Set DataSource Location...
5) Under properties of the report, under Filepath, I erase so I am prompted for a path, and through file dialog, find .xsd file.
6)  When i do this, usually, the Field explore shows new fields...but when I run report, no data shows.
0
silemoneAuthor Commented:
7) check everything back in Sourcesafe
0
Bob LearnedCommented:
For 1) and 2) how are you updating the schema file?  Are you dragging/dropping from Server Explorer to the Schema Designer?
0
silemoneAuthor Commented:
1)  SPROC -- I add 3 new fields...I test integrity of data.  Then i refresh db...

2)  Afterwards, i open my .xsd file in 'view code' mode...I type in new fields with the same name as SPROC output and their type.
0
Bob LearnedCommented:
I can modify the stored procedure, drag and drop the SP to the schema designer, save the changes, modify the report, and have the Verify Database option say that the database was updated without all those extra steps.
0
silemoneAuthor Commented:
ok...i will see if that makes a difference...
0
silemoneAuthor Commented:
suggestions helped me discover some other functionality of CR that I needed to also understand.  thanks...
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
.NET Programming

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.