ssrs SQL2008 Maximum request length exceeded.

RightNL
RightNL used Ask the Experts™
on
Hi all,

the error is pretty much the title .. ssrs SQL2008 Maximum request length exceeded.

I've got a report on SQL 2008 reporting services that runs great.  Only if I try to setup a subscription it fails.

I've already changed the web.config but that didn't help any.

Do you guys have any idea?
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®

Commented:
Have you restarted Reporting Services after changing the web.config file?

Rob

Author

Commented:
i've even restarted the whole server. no go

Commented:
Ok... how did you change web.config? (and can you specify the whole path you used?)

Also - what else is on the server? Other instances of SSRS?

Rob
Acronis in Gartner 2019 MQ for datacenter backup

It is an honor to be featured in Gartner 2019 Magic Quadrant for Datacenter Backup and Recovery Solutions. Gartner’s MQ sets a high standard and earning a place on their grid is a great affirmation that Acronis is delivering on our mission to protect all data, apps, and systems.

Author

Commented:
nothing on the server except SQL08 with reporting services etc
the location is
D:\BackOffice\SQL\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer  | I also set up reporting services to point to that folder.
c:\program files doesn't contain a web.config file.
 attached are the screenshots of the server propperties and the relevant web.config

reportingproperties.JPG
web.JPG
Commented:
Standard subscription, I assume?

And normal-looking parameters?

It does seem strange.

Can you humour me and put an extra zero or two on the 500000?

Author

Commented:
I've added 000 to it..
Restarting the reporting services and see what happens..
the parameters are 2 multiple selects and 2 date fields and a select.
the list of the multiple selects is pretty long but I'm only selecting 6 values

Author

Commented:
a restart of the services ended up giving an error that the service wasn't running even though it showed started in the services..
I'm bounching the box..
 

Commented:
Oh, interesting... which services?

Author

Commented:
it didn't help..
I've tried loosing a zero until it worked again.. I had to remove all 3 zero's ..

Commented:
Ah... I guess it's as big as it needs then.

The problem is just that one report? There must be something different about it.

Author

Commented:
it's just 1 report .. and I'm now starting to believe that it's the big multiple select box that's giving the trouble.
 
Commented:
I've changed the report and that fixed the problem..
the report was client report where the user first had to select a client and some other parameters before it's run.. with the subscription the list of clients was to big..
I've changed the report to hold an extra field contains: which can be used to create a smaller list of clients.
with the smaller list of clients there is no problem. I think it's really ugly that reporting services doesn't know how to handle this but ok ..  it's solved by work-around.
 

Commented:
Ah, ok. Good you got it sorted.

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial