we got 2 Dell PE2950 servers [1 domain controller , 1 exchange server]
Bought New Dell MD3000
plan is to setup clustering and virtulization using Hyper V and MD 3000 as storage.
here is what am thinking to do
We got 2 spare old DELL PE2650 servers. below are steps i am thiking to perform
1. Install ESXi on 2 spare servers PE2650's.
2. Convert 2 main physical servers (domain controller and Exchange) to virtual machines and host on 2 spare servers one on each. using VMware converter , Live conversion.
3. Switch off 2 main servers PE2950 and let Virtual machines serve the job for them.
4. Install windows server 2008 enterprise edition on 2 main servers PE2950 and configure with MD 3000 storage and setup Hyper V and clustering.
5. Move Virtual machines(domain controller , Exchange Server) from old spare Dell PE2650 to Newly setup servers. PE2950
6. Switch off OLD server ESXi's and PUT live new setup PE2950 with hyper and virtual machines on it.
I reserched a lot about this and everyting seems fine about all steps, only thing i want to make sure, is it easy and possible to move virtual machines from ESXi to Hyper V setup. Live transfer of virtual machines?
If yes than using which software something from VMware or Windows Virtual machine manager.
and how much time we are expecting to convert physical server to virtual machine and than move vitual machine to new setup, if current size of server is 200 GB.
any help suggestiongs about above process will be much appriciated and yea feel free to advise or change the whole process if you think this is not possible or you can advise some other way of doing this easily and effectively.