Windows Server 2003 + Exchange 2003 + NAT
i am a service company providing support for this guys and other clients.
Issue started with: user could not send a mail to external addresses but could send to email addresses within the same organization, ABC.com, but could not send to GMAIL.COM or HOTMAIL.com or any other external org.
Did a check under relay permission and everything was fine, the group "Authenticated Users" was permitted to Relay and Submit
Told the user to use the webmail function, thru Web Mail they can send the email to both Internal and External addresses.
Once again this pointed me to the server authentication, but i see nothing different from yesterday configuration, since the problem started today, i used team viewer to enter user machine and see if anything was changed, but according to them all 25 accounts at the remote site could not send to external addresses, well sometime they exaggerate so i tested at least 10 of those accounts and for once the user was telling the truth.
I use 5 of those accounts at the internal domain, logging in and authenticating properly, something not possible at the remote site, what i wanted to test is if i could see a issue with password or any other issue, after logging in on the main site i could send to both external and internal addresses using outlook.
This issue can only be at the remote site, this is my theory anyways, i just don't know what it might be.
By the way if i try to TELNET to the server using telnet mail.xyz.com 25 i don't get anything it just stays there with the cursor and then puts me back on the prompt again. If i do the same command inside the server i get the proper response.
I checked Revers and Forward queries to the domain, using NSLOOKUP and DIG all is 100% working no issues there.
I tried to configure on my PC on of the accounts using the Public IP address of the server and the error is, "Connection to the server was interrupted"... :-/ gosh don't know what else to do.
Another person remotely connected in FRANCE to the server is able to use the public IP address on their outlook and able to receive and send emails to external and internal IP addresses.
I think this entire situation started when i was getting a Few MSExchangeTranport EVNTS ID 7010, 7004 and 7002, i have checked the support documents under MS side and tried some of the solutions, but still what i changed could not have caused this situation, my opinion thou.
I still have many of this errors on my event viewer some of them i can clearly see they are related to SPAM addresses, other are Legit Addresses, been stop due to Relay Authentication issues.
One of the errors says (this is to a Legit address) This is an SMTP protocol for virtula ID 1, connections #9 the client "126.96.36.199" sent a rcpt command and the SMTP server responded with "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay for email@example.com the full command was sent to ...... this will probaly cause the connection to fail.
I checked my SPN configuration and the name of the server reflects the name under SPN and the mail server as well.
I am using McAfee AntiSpam premium solutin as well, but i also dont think this is an issue.
Admins help get the most responses possible, this is very urgent