I have been reading around here looking for answers (new user here) and I see so much flaming that I am almost scared to ask this question, but here goes anyhow lol..
I have a few dedicated boxes that are running on freebsd with apache. I am on the "learning path" but need a bit of guidance to get from point b (where I am now) to point z (where everything is working correctly)
I will start off by telling you where I am, what I have done and hopefully someone can fill in the blanks and steer me in the right direction.
1. I installed apache2, mysql, php and phpmyadmin.
2. I edited hosts.allow to give me access to things like ftpd
3. I edited httpd.conf
4. I edited /etc/namedb/named.conf and added the zone file info for the domain
5. I created a zone file in /etc/namedb/master/
6. I edited resolv.conf and added the domain (whereitshosted.com) and a line that says nameserver 127.0.0.1
at this point, the site is serving by ip but the domain is not resolving for the domain name. i have also run checks on pingability.com and get errors and warnings. (quite obvious I don't have the dns set correctly)
I know I am close, but I also know when I have no idea what I am looking for. I have read references to reverse and forward dns but I have no idea what files to edit or where they are located.
If someone could please give me a quick list of all files that need to be edited or created in order to properly setup and configure the nameserver on these boxes and the locations of these files I would greatly appreciate it. I don't really need a pile of garbled jargon as I do have 4 other fully setup servers that I can look at to see what is needed in each file.
Thanks for your time and consideration.