I am looking to create a bootable USB stick. I have a .gho image that our company uses to image all of the computers we use. I would like to start there and have the stick boot that custom instance of windows xp.
I'd like to get that .gho image into a <dot>iso image so that I can create a virtual machine on my desktop of that image in VMWare Workstation. Then I can add software and other necessary software through VMWare Workstation. Once the virtual machine is set up the way that I want it to be on the bootable USB stick, I'd like to put it on the stick so that whenever it is plugged in to a workstation computer, it will boot from the stick.
However, I have some restrictions I'd like to apply:
- I want it to be very restricted. The user will not be able to save anything to the USB stick or gain access to the host computer's hard drive. Everything should be saved to the user's network drive. (example: My Documents mapped to the user's H: drive, where the H: drive is the user's network drive)
- I want it to add our VPN and access our VPN automatically
- Softphone: I have a headset I'd like to distribute with the stick that will then work with softphone and the VoIP phones will be managed from the computer with no need for a physical phone.
So here's a basic summary of what I'm asking how to do:
- Convert .gho to .iso so I can make a virtual machine of our company's standard image (or if there's an easier/more efficient way of doing that)
- Restrict the bootable USB so that nothing can be saved to the stick or computer's HD. Everything should be saved to the user's network drive
- The USB stick should automatically access our company's network (VPN) and not disconnect from it so a user can log out and I can then log back in as a company administrator account
- Make the virtual machine an image that can be put on the USB stick and then booted. and how to do that.
I know that sounds like a lot, but I need to do this and I would appreciate any help. Thanks!