I have a new Dell server and have the option of installing Windows Server 2003 or Windows server 2008 SP2. I have reviewed 2008 with friends and online articles and have decided to deploy 2008. The network consist of 35 clients which majority use Win XP SP3 and a couple run Win 2k Pro. Our current server which runs Win 2k Pro Server is used as a DC/File Server/SQL 2k/print server/DNS. We are also part of a WAN with other DC's(W2k, W2003).
I have serveral questions I would like advice on.
1. Whats easiest way to migrate existing clients to new server (when server is ready). The new server domain name will be different and clients are part of old domain.
2. Picking domain name. Would like to use same domain name of email account domain. We use exchange server. Will there be any conflicts.
3. Should I install SQL server 2005 express and migrate all databases.
4. Should new server be used to host printers or use different machine.
5. Will be imaging old server and restoring to vmware on new server incase we need to refer to it in the future. Will this pose a conflict?
6. What settings can I easilty migrate over from old to new server to make deployment easier. Such as AD. I will use different naming convention for userID's.
7. Are there any tips I should be aware of to avoid other issues.