We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Exchange 2007 Certifucates ( SAN /UUC)

ITMaster1979 asked
Last Modified: 2012-05-08
  I m in process of migrating to exchange 2007 server , I will be using the CAS server to acces my OWA, Mobiles, ActiveSync.  my plan was to export my exchange 2003 SSL ( verisign) and use, will that work or do I have to purchase any certificate with Multil domains, if yes what exactly the steps to export it and import it and from which site to buy it.

kindly help in this.

Watch Question

Expert of the Quarter 2009
Expert of the Year 2009
This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
Expert of the Quarter 2009
Expert of the Year 2009

If you are using the UM mode then you MUST have a UC/SAN certificate.



Ok, I have one question, my setup is exchange 2003 FE and BE, as you know that owa, activesync, pop3 are active in FE which is Mail.mydomain.com, I want the CAS to have the same name Mail.mydomain.com, my FE exchange server computer name is mail, pls advise how I can resolve this.



Hi, for UUC cert, I have outlook 2003 users, do I still need it.?
Expert of the Quarter 2009
Expert of the Year 2009

For external traffic, the machine name being the same isn't going to be an issue. As long as the certificate is correct then it should work correctly. The redirection might work, because the external URL is only set on the /owa virtual directory which is for Exchange 207 mailboxes. It isn't something I have tried.
Of course the frontend server needs to go, as you shouldn't have one of those as that role is replaced by CAS.

With regards to clients - if everything is staying on Outlook 2003 and you will never upgrade (even a single system) to anything higher (which would be a shame as Outlook 2007 is very nice) then the requirement for a UC certificate is lessoned somewhat.

Windows Mobile 6.1 and higher can do autodiscover for the configuration of the sync to Exchange 2007, rather than the user entering everything manually, but that does require a SAN/UC certificate because of the need for autodiscover.example.com to resolve, or SRV record support.



Hi Simon,

  Ok, lets say I will buy the UUC, could you please advise how the steps to get it from Godady.com.

Thanks for the help
Expert of the Quarter 2009
Expert of the Year 2009

My blog posting above explains everything that needs to be done.


Gain unlimited access to on-demand training courses with an Experts Exchange subscription.

Get Access
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Empower Your Career
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE

Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.