We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Convert Windows 2003 Server to XP

akbiro
akbiro asked
on
470 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-08
I have a Windows 2003 Server PC and I want to use it for a XP workstation in a p2p application with Quickbooks and UPS shipping software.  I want this computer to be installed in our warehouse and process orders.
Can I change it to an XP or XP Pro without all the device CD's.  I do not have the original cds or disks.
Comment
Watch Question

This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION
This one is on us!
(Get your first solution completely free - no credit card required)
UNLOCK SOLUTION

Author

Commented:
I also have a windows 2000 profession computer.  Can I convert that to and XP without the original computer disks if I purchase a copy of XP?
   Exact same senario as my first post with a minor exception. If you purchase a copy of XP with the CDs you can "upgrade" Windows 2000 to Windows XP. As a note Microsoft upgrades have never gobe well. Your best bet would be to format the hard drive and load XP from scratch.

Author

Commented:
If I reformat the drive, will the new XP cd's have all the drivers I need for the CD drive, disk drives, memory and all that stuff?

Author

Commented:
Thank you both...I figured it out with your help.
It will be functional but having ALL the drivers is hit and miss. My guess would be you would have 90% of the drivers. You might have to go back to the manufacturers web site for the remaining 10%. If it is a Dell, HP or something like that all you would have to do is hit their web page and enter the model number of the computer. It will then let you download all the drivers you need to finish the installation.

Gain unlimited access to on-demand training courses with an Experts Exchange subscription.

Get Access
Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Empower Your Career
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE

Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

  • Troubleshooting
  • Research
  • Professional Opinions
Unlock the solution to this question.
Join our community and discover your potential

Experts Exchange is the only place where you can interact directly with leading experts in the technology field. Become a member today and access the collective knowledge of thousands of technology experts.

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

OR

Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.