I have a user who's Exchange 2003 SP2 mailbox was corrupted in some fashion (Outlook would not show new email in the Inbox). After some reading it was suggested that I recreate the mailbox. I used ExMerge to dump the contents, deleted the mailbox with AD Users & Computers, created it back with the same tool and finally used ExMerge to put the contents back again. Everything appeared to be working OK (the user now gets mail in the inbox) except that internal mail was bouncing back with an error about the user not having a mailbox. I look at the new and old fully qualified names and found that the old was:
/O=COMPANY/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=CKROHN
and the new is:
/O=COMPANY/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=CHRIS
Now all of our clients run Outlook 2003 SP3 in cached mode and in reading up on this error, I found that it may take up to 24 hours for changes in the Global Address List to get updated to the clients. Its been longer than that now and many clients are still using the old identifier. I know that I can use the Send Receive options to download the new list, but even that doesn't seem to help unless I both download the list AND restart Outlook. I have tried forcing a rebuild of the Offline Address Book as I read that cached Outlook uses that instead of the Global Address List but the same error persists.