User getting "network name no longer available" on Vista and Win7 but not on XP
Posted on 2009-12-16
I have a user on my domain that is currently using Windows XP. I setup a new Windows 7 PC for him to use. I gave him local admin rights. He is able to log into the PC, but when he tries to browse to any server (\\Servername) to view the shares, he gets an error saying "The specified network name is no longer available". He is able to connect to (\\IP.X.X.X). He is able to ping the servers by name, IP, and FQDN without any loss.
There are a few other users on the domain using Windows 7, including myself. When I log into his PC with my account. Everything is working fine. I have had other non admin users log into his pc, and it works fine for them. When he logs in, it gives the error. After he has logged in, the PC must be rebooted or it will give the error to the next person to log in as well. For example. I log in - works fine. I log out. He logs in - gets error. He logs out. I log in again - get error. Reboot. I log in again - works fine again.
Since my PC is also running Windows 7, I logged him into my machine. Same symptoms as above. I then had him login to a Vista machine. Same symptoms as above.
We are not using roaming profiles. I figured at this point the issue must be with his user account in AD. His username is 11 characters. So i copied his account and named it with 11 characters. Because i copied his account, both accounts are in the same groups and all accounts are in the USERS OU. When the new test account logs in - it works fine. So I'm not really sure what else to check. It only seems to affect this one user and only on Vista and WIndows 7. I'm pretty sure deleting/recreating his account will work, but I'm looking to solve this issue. If I run into this again during our upgrade to WIndows 7, I dont want to have to keep deleting accounts.