SQL Server 2008 Workgroup - Do I Need a processor licence?

Posted on 2009-12-16
Last Modified: 2012-05-08
I could run this question by Microsoft but I think they'll just tell me I need the full version, so I'd like an unbiased opinion.

I run a small SQL Sever 2005 Express database that has grown over the years and will shortly be used to store a lot of images of contracts that relate to the workorders it currently tracks. I could use the filestream option in 2008 express to tackle this, but filestream requires windows authentication and I KNOW my application does not work with windows authentication. I just didn't know what database security was about when it was written.

So.... to get past the 4GB limit I know I have to upgrade. Because this database is isolated on its own internal network security has never been much of a concern so the application signs in as the same generic user for all 50-75 people who use it.

Can I purchase a 5 user version of SQL Server 2008 Workgroup to upgrade since the only "users" signing into it are myself and the generic application user?

We will happily pay for a processor licence if that's the legitimate way to do it, it just seems to me that if I don't have a need to control the database security of everyone individually that I shouldn't have to pony up for the full processor version.

If someone could tell me 1) Would the 5 user thing even work and 2) Is attempting to use it that way legit, I'd appreciate the input.

Question by:DailyDilemma
    LVL 2

    Accepted Solution

    According to Microsoft, you always need that number of licenses where there are "real" users.
    So using only a 5 User license, because there is only one service user is a no-go for them.

    I'm affraid you have to buy 50-75 CALs or a processor license for your server.

    A little story to our licensing problematics:

    Server A - collects data and builds a database and copies it to Server B.
    Server B - is used in a website and users request data over the internet from the database.

    They say we need a processor license for server B and A! because it's Database is indirectly used by an unlimited number of users when its copied over to server B.

    Author Closing Comment

    lol ya, if they say you need one for both they'd definitely have a fit if I used mine that way. Thanks.

    Featured Post

    How to run any project with ease

    Manage projects of all sizes how you want. Great for personal to-do lists, project milestones, team priorities and launch plans.
    - Combine task lists, docs, spreadsheets, and chat in one
    - View and edit from mobile/offline
    - Cut down on emails

    Join & Write a Comment

    If you have heard of RFC822 date formats, they can be quite a challenge in SQL Server. RFC822 is an Internet standard format for email message headers, including all dates within those headers. The RFC822 protocols are available in detail at:   ht…
    In this article I will describe the Backup & Restore method as one possible migration process and I will add the extra tasks needed for an upgrade when and where is applied so it will cover all.
    In this sixth video of the Xpdf series, we discuss and demonstrate the PDFtoPNG utility, which converts a multi-page PDF file to separate color, grayscale, or monochrome PNG files, creating one PNG file for each page in the PDF. It does this via a c…
    Excel styles will make formatting consistent and let you apply and change formatting faster. In this tutorial, you'll learn how to use Excel's built-in styles, how to modify styles, and how to create your own. You'll also learn how to use your custo…

    755 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    19 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now