Erratic IP address/DHCP Problems happening across the network
Posted on 2009-12-17
We are experiencing very erratic network problems which include the following list which may or may not have any relation to each other:
1) Users getting the pop up message that says "there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network." They can still usually access the internet.
2) Users whose network just stops working. They have an IP address, but they cant go anywhere. Usually a /release /renew fixes it
3) When you open up the DHCP server manager, under Address Leases, where all of the computer names and ip address leases are listed, there are all these "bad addresses". Under "name" where computer name is, it says BAD_ADDRESS and under Description it says This address is already in use. There are a TON of these BAD_ADDRESSES in our DHCP leases.
4) In the DHCP Logs there are a ton of entries like this:
31,12/16/09,01:26:30,DNS Update Failed,10.1.10.52,testpc.domain.lan,-1,
I dont know how common these "fails" are. I've never looked into a DHCP log before.
We restarted the DNS and DHCP service, and it is doing the same thing.
5) There is one DNS Even log error from 12/15. It is Event ID 4015 with a description:
The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.
6) Application log error: EventID 1004. Description: Reporting queued error: faulting application tcpsvcs.exe, version 5.2.3790.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
I have never seen anything like this happen before. About 1/4 of the company seems to be effected. Nothing was changed recently to our servers. Our lease time is 24 hours.
If there is any other info I can grab, please let me know!