Actually, I am following step 2 of the blog http://blogs.technet.com/nishants/archive/2009/05/22/how-to-setup-variations-in-moss-2007.aspx
to install the multlingual files to windows 2008 R2 server.
1.Download the Windows Server 2008 Language Packs (x86 / x64) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E9F6F200-CFAF-4516-8E96-E4D4750397FF&displaylang=en
It will download Language Pack as .IMG file. I downloaded the 6001.18000.080118-1840_amd
2. Extract the .IMG file using WinRAR or UltraISO to a folder, you should see a folder by name langpacks within extracted folder
3. click Start, point to Settings and then Control Panel, and then click Regional and Language Options.
4. In the Regional and Language Options dialog box, on the Keyboards and Languages tab, in the Display Language section, click Install/Uninstall languages.
5. On the Select the Languages to Install page click Browse folder to navigate to where you extracted; point it to the langpacks folder > Click Select Folder
6. No valid language pack found
Notes: I also tried to download the file 6002.18005.090410-1830_amd
D.iso from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3A7FB7A2-3519-495B-9BC5-2007082CA9A6&displaylang=en
and burn into a DVD but the same result as 6.