Hi all you Experts out there!
I have a problem that has been kicking my butt lately. I have a SBS 2008 Server that is running terribly slow. High CPU utilization with serveral processes peg out the CPU @ 100% often.
For example, if I open COMPUTER and browse to the C: drive, it takes anywhere from 5 to 25 seconds to populate the folder/file list in the right hand pane. If I branch out the folders in the left hand side where the folder tree is, this is instant. When this delay happens, the CPU will spike on the Explorer Process. I used Process Explorer and found that the threads SHLWAPI.DLL and BROWSEUI.DLL seem to be the culprits. However, I am not sure why.
Explorer is not the ony thing running slowly, but other things like GPMC is slow and often will hang when expanding areas like Security Options. Often times The Start Menu becomes very slow. Launching the Exchange Management console take alot longer than normal as well.
If I kill the BrowseUI.dll thread, it seems to let my processor get down to 5 to 15% until i do ANYTHING.
I tested multiple user accounts on the server, so it does not appear to be profile specific.
Server is running GFI Mail Essentials and Kaspersky Antivirus. I have disabled both of these and it has not helped. I have also systematically disabled services and while the system would improve slightly, browsing the C: drive of the server is still very slow and caused the CPU to spike. At one point I had all IIS, EXchange, GFI, Antivirus, and any other "non-essential service" that I could think of stopped and still have the problem.
Server is an HP ML 350 G5.
It has a single Dual Core processor @ 2.0 GHZ
12 GB of RAM
5 146GB 1500 RPM SAS drives in a RAID 5 configuration. 1 logical drive and 1 large C: drive volume.
I have run Check Disk and the disk Defragmenter, no improvement.