Grooved Writing

Posted on 2009-12-21
Last Modified: 2012-05-08
Does anyone know of a font or technique  that gives the appearance of the characters being carved into a plastic or wood background with a sharp tool?   In the same vein, Andy Clarke has an interesting effect at where it looks like the writing is formed by pealing off the top layer of wallpaper.  (Fig 1).  If you look at the letters in detail (Fig 2) it looks like it was done with white highlighting added  at just the right places.  Do you think Andy touched up each character or is there a font around that does something like this?

Thanks for your thoughts

Question by:steva
    LVL 42

    Expert Comment

    by:Chris Stanyon
    Hi Steva,

    I don't think there's any special effect on this font. I think it's just the way it's been created within the graphics app (i.e Photoshop or similar). It may have a slight emboss, and then saved off as a PNG which keeps the background transparent.

    It's certainly not done in CSS!
    LVL 18

    Accepted Solution

    check out #3 at this link, they actually walk you through how to create that same effect:
    LVL 18

    Expert Comment


    Author Comment


    Great stuff!  I'm limited to what I can do with Fireworks CS4 but I found "inner shadow" in the help file so i may be ok.

    Thanks a million.

    Featured Post

    How to run any project with ease

    Manage projects of all sizes how you want. Great for personal to-do lists, project milestones, team priorities and launch plans.
    - Combine task lists, docs, spreadsheets, and chat in one
    - View and edit from mobile/offline
    - Cut down on emails

    Join & Write a Comment

    This article describes how to create custom column layout styles for Bootstrap. The article uses 5 columns to illustrate the concept, but the principle can be extended to any number of columns.
    Use these top 10 tips to master the art of email signature design. Create an email signature design that will easily wow recipients, promote your brand and highlight your professionalism.
    In this tutorial viewers will learn how to style rounded corners for elements in CSS using the border-radius property Begin with a normal styled element such as a div: To style all four corners of the div to be the same degree of roundness, use the …
    The viewer will the learn the benefit of plain text editors and code an HTML5 based template for use in further tutorials.

    728 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

    Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

    Join & Ask a Question

    Need Help in Real-Time?

    Connect with top rated Experts

    20 Experts available now in Live!

    Get 1:1 Help Now